Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the following post in the Mechanic/Electrical Department. In the Port’s continued effort to promote diversity both males/females,able/ differently abled are encouraged to apply for the available post.
Reports to: Technical Manager
Summary of Responsibilities: Electro mechanical technicians are competent in combining mechanical technology with knowledge of electrical and electronic circuits. It includes applying the principles and theories of electronics to the mechanical systems. They utilize their knowledge to devise, test, maintain and repair the any and all electro-mechanical component and machines. The main purpose of the role is to undertake maintenance, repairs and installation to upgrade, maintain and commission mechanical and electrical installations for all Port of Belize equipment and auxiliary systems within the compound..
- Maintains releases and assists in developing electrical/mechanical drawings, systems designs or engineering documentation and data, by applying Company, industry and governmental standards.
- Read blueprints, schematics, and diagrams to determine the method and sequence of assembly of a part, machine, or piece of equipment.
- Perform corrective, preventative and predictive maintenance on all equipment in regards to both electrical and mechanical.
- Independently performs set up and testing of digital and power electronics hardware.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and documenting test failures.
- Using design tools and prepares documentation and incorporates basic design changes.
- Creates, develops and maintains elementary systems designs.
- Supports engineering system design and functionality validation activities.
- Troubleshoot, maintain and install Mechanical, Electrical (PLC's), Pneumatic, and Hydraulic systems to provide maximum percentage of uptime possible.
- Supports the development and maintenance of moderately-complex product installation designs and part designs.
- Ensuring all maintenance and installation work is carried out cost effectively, safely and to the highest standard.
- Diagnosing, overseeing and rectifying electrical, electronic and mechanical faults on the port’s container handling equipment as well as maintaining the crane lift assemblies, including routine inspection and testing on boat systems.
- Diagnosing, rectifying and repairing faults on the control and instrumentation and utility equipment including electrical control and distribution systems up to and including 440 volts on the port’s compound, and handling equipment such as Container Stackers, Tractors, and other equipment within the Port compound include non-lifting light motor vehicles and boats.
- Ensuring compliance to all policies, procedures, standard operating practices with recommendations for action and continuous improvements.
- Maintaining the mobile elevating work platforms and other associated personnel carrying apparatus such as forklifts and man lifts.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time
- Associates’ degree in Electronics or Post -Secondary Technical Degree with over 5 years of experience in Electrical and Mechanical Marine and Heavy Equipment Repairs.
- Being prepared to undertake sufficient training to ensure familiarization with all equipment in service.
- Working Knowledge of Boats would be an asset.
- Having working knowledge of Control Systems, electronics and electrical systems.
- Intermediate Level knowledge of AutoCAD Studio.
- Computer literate and Intermediate Level Knowledge of Microsoft Office Systems.
- Self-starter, strong problem-solving, decision making and interpersonal skills. A high degree of diplomacy and tact is required to deal with depart heads, telephone requests and operators/office personnel in a pressure environment.
- High sense of responsibility, persistence and confidentiality with strong planning and organizing skills. Discretion in dealing with sensitive matters is of utmost importance and must be able to anticipate unusual situations and project solutions.
- Be able to operate under deadlines, and utilize personal initiative.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Characteristics: To be selected applicants must possess the following important characteristics:
- Mechanical— Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics— Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology— Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language— Strong oral and written skills.
Compensation Package: Will be commensurate (in accordance with the Company's Salary Structure).
To apply: Provide updated resume, cover letter (addressed to Human Resource Manager), copy of valid social security card, valid police report, name and phone number of two(2) previous employers.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday, May 20, 2022.